Tuesday, February 17, 2015

Tufty

Previously on the Vancouver Big Year blog, the ptarmigetters were loafing in the warm glow of success when Daniele noticed a rare bird alert had been issued: "Tufted Duck is back at Iona" he says. So much for "if some of Vancouver's most active birders are clambering around mountain peaks with me, they're not turning up rare birds elsewhere".

The Tufted Duck was first found on January 31st, but was dipped by those who twitched the following day, myself included. At the time we were under speculation that this was the same bird as last year, which also turned up mid-winter and was initially quite unsettled and difficult to find before settling at the Iona ponds until mid-March. However, after it could not be located on subsequent visits during the following two weeks, I had parted with that theory and dismissed it as a one-day wonder.

Meanwhile, there was only one person who did not respond to my ptarmi-ptrek APB. Naturally I took the opportunity to gloat by phoning him from the summit: "Hey Mike, I'm on top of Seymour and I need help identifying this all white bird with feathery feet." In retaliation to this poor birding etiquette and under the assumption I was still on the mountain,  Mike went and re-found the Tufted Duck.

Fortunately there was still daylight remaining and I justified going right away as follows: 1) There was risk that this was another one day visit; 2) I would have very little time for twitching during the work week; 3) I would be very unproductive at work with my mind occupied by Tufty. So there I was at Iona, where Daniele quickly found the bird in the NW pond making for a pretty spectacular finish to the day.

Tufted Duck - 2/15/2015 - Iona Island inner ponds.

Count update: 162 as of Feb 15.

1 comment:

  1. Glad we found Tufty it was the finale none of us could have imagined possible.

    ReplyDelete