Saturday, March 28, 2015

Kitsilano Action

The first three weeks of March were quite uneventful, but then a quick succession of hot birds popped up in Kitsilano within the last week and I was lucky to connect with all three. The first was a PALM WARBLER at Jericho Park which showed itself for all of 3 seconds during 4 hours of searching on March 22, and then, with a pump of the tail, flew overhead and out of sight. To lend further credibility to my sighting, I was standing next to two very skilled birders at the time, neither of whom got on the bird despite my calm, precise description of its whereabouts. What can I say, maybe I just wanted it more?

Next were a MOUNTAIN BLUEBIRD and a SAY'S PHOEBE at Locarno Beach. Mountain Bluebirds have a fairly reliable, but short, passage window through Metro Vancouver in late March/early April when they turn up at a handful of regular locations. However, expecting to be away in early April, I was fairly eager and glad to get my bluebird. 

phonescoped Mountain Bluebird - 26 March 2015 - Locarno Beach, Vancouver.
The Say's Phoebe was the result of the Patagonia Picnic Table Effect when someone found it while looking for the bluebird. Say's Phoebes also show up in Vancouver annually, usually around late March/early April, but in very small numbers and are notorious for remaining in an area for just one day or less. Luckily, I was notified by several people that it was found and used my powers of persuasion on YOAT to get us from the office to Locarno Beach by whistling some phoebe-like "pidiweews" within his earshot. True to the phoebe trend, it was not seen the following day.

phonescoped Say's Phoebe - 26 March 2015 - Locarno Beach, Vancouver.
I wonder where the phoebe is?
Count update: 172 as of March 26.


1 comment:

  1. Congrats on getting such good phone scope shots! Still can't believe you took those with your iPhone they are lovely.

    ReplyDelete