Tuesday, September 22, 2015

New Nemesis Bird

Move over Ruddy Turnstone, there’s a new nemesis bird in town: Red-naped Sapsucker. I spent 9.5 hours over four days looking for three separate Red-naped Sapsuckers during the last week! This species occurs rarely in Vancouver during spring migration, with one or two reported most years. They are reported even less often in the fall, and each repeated opportunity to look for one was highly unexpected. I will again present select excerpts from my Birder’s Diary to tell this grand tale.

Monday, September 14: I am forwarded photos of a “mystery” sapsucker from a private residence in North Vancouver. Though certainly a Red-naped/Yellow-bellied-type, which, or whether a hybrid, cannot be ascertained. I am told I will be informed if it reappears.

Tuesday, September 15: The mystery sapsucker is not seen by the homeowner.

Checking all sapsuckers carefully. (This Red-breasted Sapsucker was found dead on the side of a Douglas fir trunk. It appeared to have gotten its bill stuck in the tree and unable to dislodge it. A very horrible and unlikely fate. Photo: 22 Sep 2015, Stanley Park.) 
Wednesday, September 16: Just as I arrive at Iona in the evening to pursue a reported Brewer’s Sparrow, I receive a phone call alerting me that the mystery sapsucker is back, well photographed and looking very much like a hatch year female Red-naped! The better news still is that the homeowner is willing to let me and a couple crazies come try for it. I consider driving to North Vancouver then, but that would put me through some of the city’s most congested traffic during peak rush hour and would also require abandoning the Brewer’s Sparrow without even looking. Both birds represent good year birds, but I have never seen Brewer’s Sparrow in Vancouver, whereas I have seen Red-naped Sapsucker, so I opt to stay at Iona. No Brewer’s.

Thursday, September 17: Today is a day off work on account of the presence of rare birds. I feel that arriving at the sapsucker property early in the morning is an imposition on the homeowner, so I return to Iona for a second unsuccessful attempt at the Brewer’s Sparrow. We arrive in North Van at mid-day, learn the sapsucker was present earlier in the morning, and wait for 4 hours for its reappearance, which never happens. We leave the property with a new qualifier added to the competition, which is now officially a “No Backyard Birds Big Year”.

Friday, September 18: Half an hour after I finish my pre-work routine (a lap around Queen Elizabeth Park) and arrive at the office, a Red-naped Sapsucker is found at the park. Ouch! Despite receiving news of this bird very promptly, I am unable to find time to twitch it during working hours. I search for two hours after work with MEHA’s help but we are unable to relocate it.  

Saturday, September 19: I spend three hours in the non-stop rain at QE this morning. It seems as if the inclement weather kept many of the migrants present yesterday from leaving; about the same number of thrushes feast on berries by the duck pond, and a mixed flock of similar composition to the day before is moving along the slope of the quarry gardens. But alas, I do not find my sapsucker.  


Monday, September 21: To my disbelief I receive notice of another Red-naped Sapsucker, this one reported from Burnaby Mountain. Curses! For I am at the office without Beatrice (my car) to get me there. Fortunately, I have a very loyal big year support network, and MEHA comes to my rescue, picking me up from work and driving me to Burnaby Mountain with less than an hour of light remaining to find this ‘sucker. As I stick my head in to the foliage of the very first birch tree I find myself looking at the object of my despair. Final score: RNSA 3 vs ILPO 1. Only in the birding world does this translate to a winning score.   

#247. Red-naped Sapsucker. 21 Sep 2015. Burnaby Mountain. Photo: Melissa H.
  

1 comment:

  1. That photo of you and that sapsucker is hilarious but then you realize that poor red-breasted sapsucker died in such a horrific and sad way poor thing couldn't get out can't imagine it :(....

    but on a happy note... no one deserved to ACTUALLY SEE the Red-naped Sappy more than you after such a long wait!!!! I am so incredibly happy for you!! Too bad that my photo was so awful but ask anyone photographing Peckers are not my forte ;-)! hahah
    Now today you have added a Clay-coloured Sparrow which I am sure will be in your next post one more to 250 and I will throw you a party!

    Cheersxx

    ReplyDelete