Thursday, August 27, 2015

The Hunt for Ruddy

As we approached the mid-way point of August, one of my easier remaining target birds was Ruddy Turnstone. A couple adults had been seen in Boundary Bay while I was out of town in late July, and the juveniles were due to arrive any day. This year they made me work for them. The following are excerpts from my Birder's Diary. 

Friday, August 14: I headed for Boundary Bay during the passage of a low pressure system, hopeful that it would bring the next batch of shorebirds. There I found KELO, and we took turns using each other as a wind shelter while staring teary-eyed through our scopes. Final Ruddy count: 0.

Saturday, August 15: Two juvenile Ruddy Turnstones are found by KELO at Boundary Bay. Meanwhile I'm in West Vancouver, celebrating a successful tattler hunt that unknowingly took me out of checklist bounds.

Sunday, August 16: I'm back at Boundary Bay where the shorebird showing is poor.

Monday, August 17: My third attempt for Ruddys yields the exact same number. But I found a consolation prize better than my primary target: a Buff-breasted Sandpiper (#239). Views were distant but good, but no photos were obtained because the tide shuffled the birds as I approached closer and the Buff was not to be seen again. 

Tuesday, August 18: Together with a foolish cohort in pursuit of the same goal, I staked out a private hummingbird feeder where a Calliope Hummingbird had been photographed. It turns out we are two days too late. As I try to drown my woes in a bowl of pasta, text messages start coming in about Ruddy Turnstones showing well at Boundary Bay. A mad dash from Coquitlam to Boundary Bay gets me there right at sunset (made possible only by MEHA's twitching-mode driving). In the failing light I desperately plead to borrow a dejected shore-birder's scope, then proceed to falsely exclaim "Buff-breasted Sandpiper!", and miss Ruddy Turnstone for the fourth time in five days. These were a productive 15 minutes. 

Wednesday, August 19: I head back to Boundary Bay with a case of twitch-dip blues and a hurt pride. My Ruddy record diminishes further to 0/5, but I find a redemption bird: three Hudsonian Godwits feeding with a plover flock. They were observed simultaneously by MITA from further west, and then they buggered off, not to be relocated again on the rising tide. If I hadn't seen one earlier in August, this would have been another huge score.

Saturday, August 22: A successful connect with a Great Egret (#240) in Tsawassen encourages another attempt for Ruddy. But another evening high tide is shaping up like another Ruddy dip. I stand at the foot of 96th St. with MAWY, as two motorized paragliders make low flights over the mudflats spooking all shorebirds. As their activity subsides, I spot a turnstone a long way out and a long way west. While MAWY stays on the bird, I race further west and lock on to it for closer views: white throat, dark necklace and orange legs clinch the ID as a Ruddy (#241). I snap a record shot and MAWY comes over for a closer look, thereby satisfying MITO's earlier request to have all my birds verified in light of the Buff incident. At last, I'm 1/6. Victory! 


#240. Great Egret. 22 August 2015. Tsawassen, BC.

#241. Ruddy Turnstone. 20 August 2015. Boundary Bay, BC. Long-range, in-the-dark, shorebird photography; my specialty.

Count update: 241 + 1 on August 22.

2 comments:

  1. Hahaha that's a great write up but I thought we were going to brush that false buff-breasted incident under the rug ;)!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovin' it. Keep the stories coming. First turnstones of the season should be arriving here soon if not already! Buff would be nice too ;)

    ReplyDelete